Wednesday 18 August 2010

Tracking Shoe Modification

Shortly after buying my Waidwerk Scent Shoes I got fed up with the securing system that attaches the cleaves to the back of the shoes. It consisted of a large hose clip, that required the use of a screwdriver, cordless or otherwise to tighten it each time you used a new cleave.
I found that I had two problems with this. The first being that sometimes the cleaves worked loose when using the shoes, and the second which was a bit more painful, was the cordless screwdriver often slipped out of the screw and into my hand!
My solution therefore was to use two automotive exhaust clamps on each shoe, as shown below.


I found the best size of clamp to use was a 42mm type, as this fitted around the mounting bracket just nicely.


As my main training cleaves are Roe, I found that the semi circular part of the clamp would not tighten down enough on these cleaves. This was easily cured by grinding or cutting the 'tangs' off at the point of the dashed line (shown above). I don't think this will impair their use if larger species cleaves are used. When this set up is tightened on Roe cleaves it holds them absolutely secure when adjusted to the maximum thread on the 'U' clamp.


To make things even easier I use a 3/8 drive, 13mm 'deep' socket on an adapter to fit a cheap cordless drill, which is left set up on the bench just for the job of tightening/loosening the clamps when required. Its a job which now just takes seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment