Monday 22 November 2010

A Word Of Caution On Basic Discipline Training

Over the last few weeks I have given Heidi a deliberate rest from tracking training so as not to bore her with the same routine. During this time I thought it would be a good idea to re-enforce some basic discipline training, namely walking to heel.
Now don't get me wrong, she naturally wants to walk with me, but not what I call a proper heel position, and it is one thing that I am really fussy about, especially as I want her to stalk with me.
Every time we went for a walk, she had to walk to heel. To achieve this we used all the normal methods of heel training as previously in her early life which worked well, and when off the lead should she creep ahead, would receive a verbal reminder, and a light flick with the lead. The end result was perfect, and a very obedient dog, just what I wanted.
Now, we had her BMH society of GB aptitude test coming up soon, so a week before we went out for a practice track, which was set on a frosty morning, in a wood, and left around six hours to age. This would normally be no problem for her, so when we got close to the impact point on went her tracking collar and lead, then slowly approached the strike area, where she had a sniff around, then proceeded to go off in the right direction for two meters, and stopped, looking round at me! I gently encouraged her and on we went just a few meters at a time, and it was pretty much like this all the way to the end. Halfway round I realised what was wrong? Oh no, I had got her walking to heel, and that where she thought she must be even when tracking. I was gutted, especially with the test coming up.
The following week we went for some very long walks, and I clipped the SportDOG training lead to her. Initially again she would not leave me, and would be very cautious when she felt the weight of the lead dragging or got even slightly caught on grass. Taking my old terrier Corrie with us on the first day gave her more confidence to leave my side, and eventually after about three days we got back to a confident Heidi, even pulling me along! Needless to say I never used the Heel word once!
As they say, just be careful what you wish for as it may come true.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are back posting. Have you had a chance to use Heidi on real tracks in the last month?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joloenta.
    Sadly no. Work has become a real nuisance and has led me not to do much posting recently. Hopefully things will change very soon.

    ReplyDelete