Thursday 29 July 2010

Trained To The Rifle

Well a couple of days ago we continued Heidi's training to the gun. She had got to the stage of being totally not bothered about the .22 rifle blanks fired directly overhead, so today we moved on.
I started by getting Mrs Y to play with Heidi in the garden, and fired a few more .22 blanks around her, just to make sure everything was still okay-no problem. I then took a 12 gauge shotgun to the end of the garden (about 70m away), and fired a shot-no reaction. I then continued by firing at an ever decreasing distance, until I was directly next to her, while she was being played with. Absolutely no problem. Next up was the .243 (moderated) with one shot about 25m away, and another next to her, still no reaction. Cracked it! This was a momentous occasion not to be forgotten and a relief to me as I want Heidi to be a true staking dog, and accompany me when out, not sit in the truck all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment