Thursday 22 July 2010

Training Heidi To The Rifle

An important part of Heidi's training started a couple of weeks ago, and shall continue steadily until she becomes 100%. This of course is training her to the shot of the rifle.
I don't know if it is the Bavarian breed, but she has been great regards loud noise since day one. We did however make a point of banging and bashing around her from a tender age, this also included power tools and lawn mowers, and all of this seems to have stood her in good stead for this period of her training.
For the first part of the process I got the wife to play with Heidi at the far end of the garden, this was having a tug game with her, (Heidi's) favourite rope toy. I was then about 50m away, and with an old, worn out air rifle from my youth which I am lucky enough to have, I cocked it and fired it without a pellet in, up in the air. Whilst doing so observing Heidi's reaction, if any-there was none. So I continued repeating this process every couple of meters, until I was able to get right up to, and stand next to Heidi. She was not bothered in the slightest.After a few days we went on to stage two. This was to repeat the same exercise as before, but use a .22 rimfire with blanks instead of live rounds, and with the sound moderator removed. I have to mention that before going on to the rimfire we had a quick refresher with the airgun, just to confirm all was okay, and that she was not bothered in any way.
Again starting from around 50m away, I was able to get up to and above Heidi, firing the blanks towards the wall of the house, so as to increase the sound as much as possible. Again Heidi didn't even batter an eyelid, and showed no signs of being worried.
My next step will be to use a 12 gauge shotgun from a distance, and then follow up with a .243 centrefire deer rifle. As things are at the moment I cannot see that there will be any problems, but won't rush things, and keep starting from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment