Sunday 30 May 2010

Bavarian Mountain Hound Heidi 50m track, blood only.

This was a fairly straight 1hr old, 50m line on neat blood, to try and see if Heidi, now 13 weeks old, was ready for blood only tracks. I think from the results that she's just about there, you can see in video that things went pretty well until the last few meters. I believe this was probably because the vegetation in the middle of the path became almost non existent, and I don't think this was holding the scent enough for her. I have also started to tied out the skin etc., to stop the magpies and other wildlife moving it.
The next step will be to extend the distance, as someone pointed out to me if she can track okay at 50, she track okay at 100, 200, 300, as long as she does not get bored and things are kept interesting. Also to be aware of the time involved, in other words, start doing less tracks per week. I think I will also start to introduce tracking shoes and cleaves after a couple of blood trails.

Age of track:
1hr
Length of Track: 50m.
Type of track: Neat blood.
Wind direction: From behind.
Wind strength: 17-21 mph Fresh breeze.
Temp: 12ÂșC
Weather: Damp morning ground, becoming sunny.
Time: 09.00
Age of Dog: 13 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment