Tuesday 25 May 2010

Bavarian Mountain Hound Heidi 50m, heavily diluted blood, no liver drag.

This was a 50m tracking test to find out a few things. Having had success with liver drag and blood trail, I thought I'd tried diluting the blood with about 70% water (as I'm running low on blood), normally its diluted 50/50. The other thing I did as an experiment, was to drip blood about every other step, and lastly to omit the liver drag. Again the wind was generally from behind us.
Poor Heidi, she kept looking to me for help, as if to say I can't pick up enough scent, what do I do. Sometimes you can see she does get a whiff and its nose down, other times she struggles.
This suggests to me that maybe I should continue with the liver drag for a bit longer yet, and perhaps not dilute the blood so much, but try to drip it more evenly at this stage.
The good thing is that we ended on a positive and she found her cleave at the end of it. I thought I would try a cleave this time as I wanted give her a change from a piece skin to add interest, although she does seem to love a piece of skin at the end, followed by a tugging game.

No comments:

Post a Comment