Friday 21 May 2010

Our Bavarian Mountain Hound - Heidi

Being a contentious deerstalker, I consider it my duty to have a trained dog, that can track a wounded deer due to a misplaced shot taken by myself or another person, and humanely dispatch it. Also that it would would be possible to follow up a poor beast hit by a vehicle, and do the same.
My old dog is now into retirement years, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to choose a breed that fits my specific requirements. That is solely for the purpose of tracking deer, not a general purpose dual role gundog. For this reason, after extensive research, I decided on a Bavarian Mountain Hound.
The Bavarian Mountain Hound (Bayerischer Gebirgsschweisshund) have the finest nose for following ground scent and trail; they are firm on scent, have a strongly developed will, to follow a trail and readily give tongue on scent. They were bred by Baron Karg-Bebenburg, Reichenhall around the 1870's from crossing the Hanoverian Scenthound, which were considered too heavy for rough an mountainous ground, with the Red Mountain Scenthounds. These Bavarian Mountain Hounds eventually became so popular that today they are considered the classical scenthound for the professional hunter on the continent.
So here we have our new pup 'Heidi' at 8 weeks old. She was bred in the UK, from the 'Zerno' kennels of Mark and Alison Montgomery in Cumbria, who I can only say are two of the most professional people I have ever met, especially when it come to the well being of this breed in the UK.


Heidi, (Zerno Cherub) is Kennel Club registered and is one of 10 pups, 6 bitches and 4 dogs. If anyone is interested her pedigree can be seen here: http://www.bazabgs.com/baza.php?op=show_tree&dog=13978
Over the next few days, weeks, months I will try to show Heidi's progress. I must stress however that I have never trained a dog purely for deertracking, and have taken on board everything that I have gleaned from those that have, and from books.

No comments:

Post a Comment