Sunday 20 June 2010

Bavarian Mountain Hound Heidi, first 300m, 3 hrs old

Today was yet again, another ambitious session with Heidi. As her last track was 250m, and 2.5 hrs. old, with no problems, this time we were to step it up to 300m, and leave it for 3 hours. The field we used was another one of Ian's, quite close to the previous one.
The wind was gusting pretty strong, and with dry, hard soil, together with dry vegetation, and being quite sunny. I knew this was going to be tough.
So we started the track, and Heidi picked it up fairly quickly. This time I did not take her right to the beginning, but put her tracking collar on quite a few meters before it, letting her try to pick up the start point by herself.
After a few meters of good strong grass, there was an open patch of hard dry soil, which I thought was going to be a problem, but she proved me wrong. Along this section of the track line the wind was coming in pretty strong from the left front angle, and predictably she was pretty much tracking about 1 meter wide to the right. Things then continued to go well, even though being spooked by a screaming motorbike in the close vicinity. Then about 30 to 40 meters before the first left hand turn, we hit a patch of small, very fierce stinging nettles. Now when I had laid the track I had tried to avoid nettles and thistles, but I thought she would be able to deal with these. Not so however! You can see just before the end of the first video she definitely refused to go through them, by sitting down and looking at me, as if to say NO WAY. I couldn't blame her, especially being so young, and did not want her to become afraid of these as she grows older. I knew I had to get past these, keeping her positive and sticking to the track. I thought that if I took her wide of the nettles, (which would have been very wide), that it would be wrong to come off the tracking line by so much. I therefore went for the idea of picking her up, and carrying her on the line, putting her down just clear of the nettles.

This is where the part 2 video starts. She very quickly got her nose back down, and on to the line, dealing with the first left turn pretty well, then again the crossing wind made her visibly track slightly to the left this time. She pressed on, coming to the next left handed turn, which again she dealt with pretty well, with the wind predictably affecting her actions on the turn itself.
We were now on the final run, heading towards the finish, when suddenly she went off to the right hand side, scenting as she went. After about 3 meters she got to the fence line, which had thick undergrowth coming through it, when there was an explosion of two pheasants, erupting from the ground, so much so that it made the young Heidi give a short scream.
Verbally I calmly quietened her down, and we made it to the finishing point, where she was given the usual liver treat, plenty of praise and a game with the skin.
Conclusions:
The stinging nettles and thistles are becomining a major problem in Heidi's training. At this time of year finding suitable training ground that does not have any is very difficult. I feel that if we continue trying to work in these areas, that it might affect her in the future.
Also if you watch the videos, Heidi does seem to wander around a bit whilst on the line with this track. I know it was windy, but I am also aware from reconnaissance that there is quite a few game birds in this area which I think is the problem. I have never encouraged her with these, and never will do. I guess the only thing to do is to ignore her behaviour when she smells these and praise/reward her when she keeps to the track line.






Age of track: 3hrs
Length of Track: 300m.
Type of track: Shoe and diluted blood.
Amount of blood: 250ml (1/2 diluted with water).
Wind direction: From the left and front initially
Wind strength: 20-25 mph gusting higher
Temp: 14ÂșC
Weather: Dry ground, overcast
Time: 17.00
Age of Dog: 15 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment