Wednesday 9 June 2010

Tracking Shoe Studs

When I purchased my tracking shoes I noticed that there was the facility to add studs to the bottom of the shoes for extra grip on wet or slippery terrain. There are in fact nine threaded holes in the bottom of each sole, and although they feel secure enough when walking about at this time of year, I thought that if I wanted to fit studs later on for extra traction, that the threaded holes would all be full of mud, and that I would stand no chance of screwing them in.
I shopped around, and found a pack of 12 nylon football boot studs for £3.00, so for £6.00 I had enough plus some spare. Other options would have been rugby studs, which were made from alloy and longer, or golf which are larger diameter, but a lot flatter and therefore not so aggressive.
The football ones screwed in really easily, and all I have to do now is try them. The only problems I can see at the moment is that they may be uncomfortable to walk far in, especially on hard ground, also they may pick up or drag in long grass or weeds, and that I might need to extend the cleaves a bit more below the sole line. Worst case scenario is that I just unscrew them all, and use them as before

No comments:

Post a Comment