Wednesday 16 June 2010

BMH, Heidi 15wks,250m,2.5hrs.

Once again we are pushing the boundaries with Heidi's training. This time I laid the track in the same field as last time but covering a totally different area. The blood used this time was fresh from the Muntjac shot the previous day, and I want to go just a bit further than the last track, and leave it a bit longer. The reason being that for some reason Heidi struggled at the start last time, but when she got going things went well, and I wanted to make sure I wasn't expecting too much.
This time I had left the track 2.5 hours, and the weather had become very hot and windy. My expectations were definitely low. However we got to the start line and she did a little bit of ringing, then was off, and we never really looked back. She kept her head down a lot this time, and was really using her nose well, I have to say she knew better than I where the track went. Thankfully I had put down my marker flags as I had laid the line, otherwise I would have had no idea where it went, and many times I thought Heidi was going off line, but when looking ahead I could just pick up the next flag in the grass-amazing.
When we got to the first sharp left hand turn, she realised something had changed on the track and took about a 2-3m radius to the left, probably picking it up again in the wind, and off we went. Next left hand turn was even a sharper turn, but within a few seconds she had this one sussed, and was again away right up to the finish. She was again rewarded with a game and what is is becoming her favourite-a small piece of fresh liver!This was to me an amazing show of her abilities. The weather was not what I though would have been ideal for tracking, and the line had been left for the longest time yet. If you watch the video you will see that on this day I think we could have gone on and on distance wise, she was having no trouble. The ground was a fairly damp river meadow, and the blood was fresh, and only diluted about 1/4. Was this the reason for success, I don't know, but it proves that she is more than capable of following an older and longer track next time!

Age of track:
2.5hrs
Length of Track: 250m.
Type of track: Shoe and fresh blood.
Amount of blood: 250ml (1/4 diluted with water).
Wind direction: From the right and behind
Wind strength: 13-18 mph gusting higher
Temp: 18ÂșC
Weather: Damp ground, sunny, becoming hotter.
Time: 16.30
Age of Dog: 15 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment