Saturday 26 June 2010

The Pup Takes to Water

Nearly 4 weeks ago when Heidi was 13 weeks old, I had her with me whilst working at a customers property, that had a very large lake in the grounds. For a good 15 meters all around the edge it was quite shallow, I would say just under half a meter deep. I thought this would be ideal for Heidi's first introduction to water, especially as it was one of the first really hot days of the summer. After asking the owner if it was okay to do so, I took Heidi down to the waters edge, and waded out in my wellingtons.
After just a few moments thinking about it she decided to slowly but surely ventured into the water, and it did not take her long to get out of her depth and start to swim. She really took to it well with no panicking or whimpering, just very calmly and effortlessly swimming like a professional. Mind you if you have ever seen a BMH's paws I'm not surprised, they're built like flippers!


All in all she spent about fifteen minutes cooling off and enjoying herself in the water, retrieving bits of weed, and chasing dragonflies. She actually seemed disappointed when we had to leave. I now wonder if she can track across water? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment